Doftana Prison (closed) - Campina
Doftana was a Romanian prison, sometimes referred to as "the Romanian Bastille". Built in 1895 in connection with the nearby mines, it was used to detain political prisoners beginning in 1921, among them Gheorghe Gheorghiu-Dej, who was the Prime Minister of Romania (1952–1955), and the Chairman of the State Council of Romania (1961–1965), and Nicolae Ceaușescu, who was General Secretary of Romanian Communist Party (1965–1989), and the first President of Romania (1968-1989). From 1924, inmates began to write and edit a newspaper by hand using paper slips and smuggled pencils. It went by various names such as Doftana Red and Bolsheviks Handcuffed. During the communist period of Romania just after World War II, it was transformed into a museum, having been deserted due to lack of funds. The composer Alfred Mendelssohn wrote The Destruction of Doftanas, a symphonic poem about it. Not just Romanian communists were imprisoned here, but captured German and Soviet soldiers and Hungarian civilians as well.